20/08/2008

mind-stripping

It is my latest epiphany that the only thing worth living for is giving. Allow me to exemplify this with a little tale.
One night I awoke from my slumber to a voice in the next room. I quickly remembered that my grandfather was sleeping in the next room for a few nights while recovering from medical difficulties. At first it was hard to make out what he was saying, but I soon realized that he was talking to no one but himself, even in his dreams. He became more audible as he continued, mumbling phrases like "music was my life... I used to be so great at it. And now I can't even play my instruments." He continued on, his mind dealing with other things he's lost with his age. "I used to play tennis every day, and now I can barely hold a racquet." I was aghast with the thought that someday I too will be in his position.
What will I say in my sleep? What things will my subconscious take upon itself to unload from my mind as I waste away in my sleep?
Then it hit me. The only things that my subconscious will never have to handle in such a way are those things which I've given away. What things in life are so important that we really need to attend to more than giving? After all, we'll all grow old, and all our joys will be stripped from us... save for one—observing the fruits of our efforts in generosity.

No comments: